Video interviews allow you to create a rapport with the interviewer that phone interviews do not provide. Companies will use video interviews to provide convenience to candidates, save money, and connect with candidates who live farther away. The following steps will allow you to ace that next video interview:
Before the interview:
- Download the appropriate application (Skype, FaceTime, Microsoft Teams, Google Hangouts, Webex, etc)! Ask your recruiter or interviewer which one to downlead.
- Go to a quiet place where there are no distractions at least 5 minutes before your interview
- Confirm whom is calling whom first. If you are calling the employer, make sure you have the correct Skype name and you call at the arranged time. If you are even a minute late YOU ARE LATE!
- Make sure you have
good WIFI and that your computer/ phone is fully charged
- Review key skills, job description and company prior to the interview
- Make sure to have at least 3-4 questions prepared
- Treat this like an in-person interview – Business professional attire, clean/ distraction free interview space, and no gum.
During the interview:
- Have a copy of your
resume in front of you
- Ask for the managers to explain the position and what they are looking for in more detail
- Keep it conversational and speak clearly, look at the camera
- Make sure to smile and have good body language
- Never answer another
call or ask the interviewer to “hold on” during an interview unless absolutely
- It is recommended to not discuss money, benefits, or time-off during the interview – This can be an interview killer
- At the end of the interview ask “is there anything in my background which would prevent me from being successful in this role” – this lets you know exactly where you stand and gives you a chance to overcome any objection
- “Pre-close” the job. Tell them that you enjoyed the opportunity to speak and discuss the role and that you are confident you would be a good asset to the organization and are looking forward to the next steps
After the interview:
- Send a thank you note
or email to everyone who interviewed you
- If you are working with a recruiter call the recruiter immediately to discuss how the interview went.
Are you currently seeking new job opportunities?
Follow the above steps and send your resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org for a recruiter to engage.